Close Menu
Decapitalist

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from Decapitalist about Politics, World News and Business.

    Please enable JavaScript in your browser to complete this form.
    Loading
    What's Hot

    Four invisible barriers to foreign investment

    May 18, 2026

    ‘Sinners’ star Hailee Steinfeld melts hearts with first look at her newborn daughter

    May 18, 2026

    WHO declares Ebola outbreak in Congo and Uganda a global health emergency, with at least 80 dead

    May 18, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Decapitalist
    • Home
    • Business
    • Politics
    • Health
    • Fashion
    • Lifestyle
    • Sports
    • Technology
    • World
    • More
      • Fitness
      • Education
      • Entrepreneur
      • Entertainment
      • Economy
      • Travel
    Decapitalist
    Home»World»Canada confirms hantavirus case linked to cruise ship that killed 3
    World

    Canada confirms hantavirus case linked to cruise ship that killed 3

    Decapitalist NewsBy Decapitalist NewsMay 18, 2026015 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest Copy Link LinkedIn Tumblr Email Telegram WhatsApp
    Follow Us
    Google News Flipboard
    Canada confirms hantavirus case linked to cruise ship that killed 3
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email Copy Link


    Hantavirus outbreak on cruise ship sparks concern as passengers return to US

    Fox News senior medical analyst Dr. Marc Siegel discusses the Hantavirus outbreak aboard the MV Hondius cruise ship, where three deaths occurred. Siegel explains that while human-to-human spread is rare, it’s not impossible. The segment highlights the return of passengers to the U.S. from locations like Tenerife and Praia, raising new public health concerns and emphasizing the need for containment.

    NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

    Canadian health officials on Sunday confirmed that one of four Canadians who returned from the MV Hondius cruise ship, the subject of an international Andes hantavirus outbreak, tested positive for hantavirus. Three people connected to the outbreak have died.

    The Public Health Agency of Canada confirmed the positive test after British Columbia’s top public health officer previously described the case as a “presumptive positive.”

    “One individual’s sample was confirmed positive for hantavirus,” the agency said in a statement.

    Officials said additional testing will be conducted at a national laboratory. It was not immediately clear whether that testing was for confirmation, strain characterization or another purpose.

    CRUISE SHIP PASSENGER DESCRIBES UNCERTAINTY AFTER 3 DEATHS AMID HANTAVIRUS PROBE

    Passengers walking back to cruise boat at Cozumel port pier

    Experts say cruise outbreaks get more attention due to public reporting rules, but many travelers still plan to sail as booked. (Myloupe/Universal Images Group)

    The development comes as global health officials continue monitoring the rare hantavirus outbreak tied to the MV Hondius, which has sickened multiple passengers.

    As of May 13, the World Health Organization said 11 cases had been identified in connection with the cruise outbreak, including eight confirmed cases, two probable cases and one inconclusive case. Those figures included three deaths. The Associated Press later reported that the Canadian confirmation brought the number of people from the ship who had tested positive to 10.

    Canadian health officials said four Canadians returned home from the MV Hondius, though only one has tested positive for the virus.

    RARE HANTAVIRUS HUMAN-TO-HUMAN TRANSMISSION SUSPECTED ON LUXURY CRUISE SHIP WHERE 3 HAVE DIED

    Passengers from the MV Hondius boarding a Spanish Military Emergency Unit bus in Tenerife

    The rare Andes virus, which was linked to the MV Hondius cruise ship outbreak, is the only known hantavirus strain that has the capability to spread from person to person, usually through prolonged close contact. (Andres Gutierrez/Anadolu)

    The confirmed patient and a traveling companion — identified as a Yukon couple in their 70s — returned from the cruise together. The companion later tested negative, officials said.

    A third person in their 70s from Vancouver Island remains in isolation, along with a British Columbia resident in their 50s.

    So far, no confirmed U.S. cases tied to the cruise ship have been reported, though WHO said as of May 13 that one U.S.-repatriated passenger had inconclusive laboratory results and was undergoing retesting.

    HANTAVIRUS DEATHS ON CRUISE SHIP HIGHLIGHT DANGERS OF RODENT-BORNE DISEASE

    View of the cruise ship MV Hondius

    Pictured is the MV Hondius, the cruise ship tied to a hantavirus outbreak after a stop in Argentina that left three passengers dead. (Europa Press Canarias via Getty Images)

    Last week, however, health officials in Ontario County, New York, announced they were investigating a suspected locally acquired hantavirus case unrelated to the cruise ship.

    The Ontario County Public Health Department said there was no risk to the general public. Officials also said the strain typically seen in the United States is not known to spread from person to person.

    The outbreak linked to the MV Hondius began after the Dutch cruise ship, carrying 147 passengers and crew members, departed Argentina on April 1 for a South Atlantic voyage.

    TRAPPED CRUISE SHIP PASSENGER SHARES UPDATE ON CLEANLINESS OF SHIP AMID DEADLY HANTAVIRUS OUTBREAK

    The outbreak has prompted heightened precautions internationally, including in the Netherlands, where Radboud University Medical Center quarantined 12 staff members after officials said a hantavirus patient’s blood and urine were not handled under the strictest protocols recommended for the virus strain.

    The outbreak has also sparked comparisons to the coronavirus pandemic. However, Fox News senior medical analyst Dr. Marc Siegel previously told Fox News Digital there is “no comparison.”

    He noted hantavirus is difficult to spread.

    masked people line up to enter warehouse

    Passengers evacuated from the hantavirus-stricken Hondius cruise ship walk with their belongings after disembarking at Eindhoven Air Base, Netherlands, on May 12. (Piroschka van de Wouw)

    “It’s not airborne … in terms of respiratory droplets hanging in the air,” he said. “It’s very difficult to transmit.”

    While coronavirus “moved in the direction of humans in a significant way,” hantavirus has not, except for “very rare” cases of human-to-human transmission, he added.

    The World Health Organization has assessed the risk to the global population as low, while noting that current evidence suggests subsequent human-to-human transmission may have occurred on board. Andes virus is the only hantavirus known to have documented person-to-person transmission, though such spread is considered rare.

    CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

    Siegel also noted hantavirus cases have been reported in the United States for decades, though they remain “very rare.”

    Fox News Digital’s Brittany Miller and Angelica Stabile, along with The Associated Press, contributed to this report.



    Source link

    Canada case confirms Cruise Cruises hantavirus infectious disease killed linked outbreaks ship Vancouver
    Follow on Google News Follow on Flipboard
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Copy Link
    arthur.j.wagner
    Decapitalist News
    • Website

    Related Posts

    WHO declares Ebola outbreak in Congo and Uganda a global health emergency, with at least 80 dead

    May 18, 2026

    Kim Kardashain, Mariah Carey and More

    May 17, 2026

    How Worried Should We Be About Hantavirus?

    May 16, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Top Posts

    Coomer.Party – Understanding the Controversial Online Platform

    August 8, 2025964 Views

    Which country doesn’t have a capital city, and why? |

    November 30, 2025119 Views

    ‘Even Warren Buffett Has Accepted…’: Robert Kiyosaki Warns Investors Of Major Shock Ahead | Markets News

    October 2, 2025110 Views
    Don't Miss

    Four invisible barriers to foreign investment

    May 18, 2026 Business 06 Mins Read1 Views

    Poor systems, damaging narratives are hurting Pakistan’s image among foreign investors ISLAMABAD: A few days…

    Oil price gains and Westminster worry sink stocks

    May 16, 2026

    Indian Oil director calls it ‘very small rise’; says refineries operating at over 100% capacity

    May 15, 2026

    UK economy grew 0.6% between January and March

    May 14, 2026
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • TikTok
    • WhatsApp
    • Twitter
    • Instagram
    About Us

    Welcome to Decapitalist — a post-capitalist collective dedicated to delivering incisive, critical, and transformative political journalism. We are a platform for those disillusioned by traditional media narratives and seeking a deeper understanding of the systemic forces shaping our world.

    Most Popular

    Four invisible barriers to foreign investment

    May 18, 2026

    ‘Sinners’ star Hailee Steinfeld melts hearts with first look at her newborn daughter

    May 18, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Please enable JavaScript in your browser to complete this form.
    Loading
    • About Us
    • Contact Us
    • Disclaimer
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    Copyright© 2025 Decapitalist All Rights Reserved.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.