Close Menu
Decapitalist

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from Decapitalist about Politics, World News and Business.

    Please enable JavaScript in your browser to complete this form.
    Loading
    What's Hot

    Pm Modi Five-Nation Tour: PM Modi’s five-nation tour secures nearly $40 billion investment pipeline for India

    May 21, 2026

    Why Cardi B believes her relationship with Stefon Diggs deserves ‘another chance’

    May 21, 2026

    EU says risk of Ebola infection in the bloc is ‘very low’

    May 21, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Decapitalist
    • Home
    • Business
    • Politics
    • Health
    • Fashion
    • Lifestyle
    • Sports
    • Technology
    • World
    • More
      • Fitness
      • Education
      • Entrepreneur
      • Entertainment
      • Economy
      • Travel
    Decapitalist
    Home»Health»EU says risk of Ebola infection in the bloc is ‘very low’
    Health

    EU says risk of Ebola infection in the bloc is ‘very low’

    Decapitalist NewsBy Decapitalist NewsMay 21, 2026003 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest Copy Link LinkedIn Tumblr Email Telegram WhatsApp
    Follow Us
    Google News Flipboard
    EU says risk of Ebola infection in the bloc is ‘very low’
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email Copy Link


    Ambulances parked at Bunia General Referral Hospital following confirmation of an Ebola outbreak involving the Bundibugyo strain in Bunia, Ituri province, Democratic Republic of Congo, May 16, 2026. — Reuters
    Ambulances parked at Bunia General Referral Hospital following confirmation of an Ebola outbreak involving the Bundibugyo strain in Bunia, Ituri province, Democratic Republic of Congo, May 16, 2026. — Reuters
    • Bundibugyo Ebola outbreak a public health emergency: WHO
    • Outbreak spread undetected for weeks in conflict-hit Congo.
    • No vaccine available for Bundibugyo strain, may take months to develop.

    BRUSSELS: The risk of an Ebola outbreak in the European Union is “very low” and “there is no indication” that Europeans need to take further steps beyond the standard public health advice, a spokeswoman said Wednesday.

    “We know that diseases do not stop at the borders, and this is also the case of Ebola,” spokeswoman Eva Hrncirova told reporters.

    This was why the European Union was doing “everything” it could to support the central African region hit by the outbreak, she added.

    The World Health Organisation has declared the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo, which has killed more than 130 people, an international health emergency.

    Hrncirova said the EU was doing “plenty” to help the DRC.

    “For example, there is a… humanitarian air bridge on its way, so we will soon deliver essential material to DRC, medicines, protective material, infection control material, and some tents,” she said.

    Super-spreader event suspected

    The outbreak has alarmed experts because it has been able to spread for weeks undetected across a densely populated area ravaged by widespread armed violence. 

    A 2018-2020 outbreak of the Zaire strain of Ebola in the same region was the second deadliest on record, killing nearly 2,300 people.

    The Bundibugyo strain of Ebola, which spreads through direct contact with bodily fluids from infected people or animals, has an average fatality rate of around 40%, according to the WHO.

    Breaking down the figures in this outbreak, the WHO said 51 cases had been confirmed in the Democratic Republic of Congo’s northern provinces of Ituri and North Kivu. 

    Uganda has also informed the WHO of two confirmed cases in the capital, Kampala, including one death among two individuals who travelled from Congo to Uganda.

    A U.S. citizen who was working in Congo has also been confirmed positive and has been transferred to Germany, the WHO said.

    WHO experts said that they suspected the outbreak likely started a couple of months ago, with the first suspected death reported on April 20, and investigations were ongoing.

    WHO officials believe that after the first death, there was then a super-spreading event either at a funeral or a healthcare facility. On May 5, a super-spreader event was detected with a social media report of deaths in the communities, they said.

    On May 12, the provisional government along with the WHO sent an investigation team where they collected samples. Eight out of the 13 samples were confirmed as Ebola.

    There is currently no vaccine available for the Bundibugyo strain. WHO experts said that two possible vaccines are under consideration but could take between three and nine months to be developed and need clinical trials.


    — With additional input from Reuters





    Source link

    bloc Ebola infection Risk
    Follow on Google News Follow on Flipboard
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Copy Link
    arthur.j.wagner
    Decapitalist News
    • Website

    Related Posts

    Experts discuss Ebola threat to US as American tests positive for virus

    May 20, 2026

    White House adds generic drugs to direct-to-consumer TrumpRx site

    May 19, 2026

    WHO declares Ebola outbreak in Congo and Uganda a global health emergency, with at least 80 dead

    May 18, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Top Posts

    Coomer.Party – Understanding the Controversial Online Platform

    August 8, 2025968 Views

    Which country doesn’t have a capital city, and why? |

    November 30, 2025124 Views

    ‘Even Warren Buffett Has Accepted…’: Robert Kiyosaki Warns Investors Of Major Shock Ahead | Markets News

    October 2, 2025120 Views
    Don't Miss

    Pm Modi Five-Nation Tour: PM Modi’s five-nation tour secures nearly $40 billion investment pipeline for India

    May 21, 2026 Business 03 Mins Read0 Views

    Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s recent five-nation visit has helped India secure an investment pipeline worth…

    UK loosens Russian oil sanctions as fuel prices rise

    May 20, 2026

    American tests positive in Congo

    May 19, 2026

    Four invisible barriers to foreign investment

    May 18, 2026
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • TikTok
    • WhatsApp
    • Twitter
    • Instagram
    About Us

    Welcome to Decapitalist — a post-capitalist collective dedicated to delivering incisive, critical, and transformative political journalism. We are a platform for those disillusioned by traditional media narratives and seeking a deeper understanding of the systemic forces shaping our world.

    Most Popular

    Pm Modi Five-Nation Tour: PM Modi’s five-nation tour secures nearly $40 billion investment pipeline for India

    May 21, 2026

    Why Cardi B believes her relationship with Stefon Diggs deserves ‘another chance’

    May 21, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Please enable JavaScript in your browser to complete this form.
    Loading
    • About Us
    • Contact Us
    • Disclaimer
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    Copyright© 2025 Decapitalist All Rights Reserved.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.